Dudes. It’s like a once in a lifetime opportunity and I get it to do it twice! On Monday, January 2nd, 2017, I’ll be riding in my second Tournament of Roses Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. The name of the float is Lucy Pet’s Gnarly Crankin’ K-9 Wave Maker and we have eight of my surfing dog pals catching waves! The awesome float just set two Guinness World Records as the longest and heaviest float ever in parade history!
The 126-foot float will carry a 90-foot long wave tank containing 8,000 gallons of water and a wave-making machine capable of producing a perfect wave every five seconds. Our official length and weight for Guinness are 126 ft long, 148,200 lb…HUGEEE!
Here is some info on my surfing buds:
● Sully (Breed: English Bulldog) Sully was named after Captain Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot famous for landing a plane on the Hudson River is 2009. Sully took home 1st place in 2016 Unleashed by Petco Surf Dog Competition, and this will be his third time riding on a Rose Bowl float. This seven-year-old pup loves surfing, riding on ATVs, digging for gophers, staring at cows and sleeping on expensive furniture.
● Turbo (Breed: Golden Retriever) Turbo started at six months old, and he has been competing and winning on the surf dog circuit since 2013, including 1st place win at the 2015 Helen Woodward Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon in Del Mar, Ca. Turdo was rescued from a life with little human interaction, malnourished, covered in parasites and afraid of the world, but he flourished with the love and affection from his new parents. This four-year-old pup loves to surf, swim and being a foster ‘brother” for very ill or severely injured dogs who require long-term foster care and medical attention while awaiting their forever homes.
● Haole (Breed: Labrador Retriever) Haole has been competing and winning on the dog surfing circuit since 2013. He “told” his owners he wanted to surf by jumping on his dad’s surfboard! He works with A Walk on Water, a non-profit organization that provides surf therapy for special needs children and their families. This eight-year-old pup loves surfing, obviously, riding on his golf cart, eating Frosty Paws ice cream and shredding new toys in minutes.
● Fred (Breed: McNab Shepherd) Fred is a Champion Disc Dog and born entertainer who taught himself to ride a surfboard in the family pool. He loves his family’s cats and even shares his treats with his cat “Thomas: during training exercises. This fun, five-year-old pup loves swimming, dock diving, surfing, chasing balls, learning new tricks and entertaining crowds at a local school and community fundraising events.
● Coppertone (Breed: Miniature Dachshund) Coppertone has been featured in countless news articles, videos, greeting cards and music videos around the world. She was recently featured on America’s Funniest Home Videos. Coppertone holds the title of DOGTV’s honorary mayor of San Diego and was featured on the Champion Dogs of San Diego parade float. This loving three-year-old loves to surf, skateboard, jet skiing, snowboarding, paddle boarding, riding Harley Davidsons, modeling and performing tricks.
● Macho (Breed: Russell Terrier) Macho is an AKC champion Dock Diver and holds multiple titles in Obedience, Racing, and Tricks. Macho spent the summer surfing from coast to coast alongside his house sister, Coppertone, on the Lucy pet’s Gnarly Crankin’ K-9 Wave Maker National Tour. This two-year-old loves surfing, playing Frisbee, lure coursing, skateboarding, soccer, snowboarding, kayaking, fireworks, dock diving and performing tricks.
● Rooster (Breed: Australian Shepherd) Rooster holds multiple titles in Dock Diving, Barn Hunting, and Obedience. He is happiest when he’s around people, performing and having his picture taken. Rooster is new to the dogs surfing world but spent the entire summer practicing and won a coveted spot on Lucy pet’s Gnarly Crankin’ K-9 Wave Maker Rose Parade float! This two-year-old pup loves swimming, dock diving, showing off his new surfing skills, playing fetch, pretending he’s a gymnast and smiling for photos.
I can’t wait for this epic ride on Monday, January 2nd, 2017 for all the fun and make sure to keep your eyes peeled for me and all our surfin’ dogs! Surfs Up!